1. Rinse the rice. Rinsing the rice helps get rid of any starch and impurities. Rinse until the water is clear and not cloudy.
2. Combine long grain rice and water. For every cup of long grain rice, add 1 1/2 cups water.
3. Boil the rice. Bring the rice to a boil, uncovered, at medium heat.
4. When the rice is boiling, turn the heat down to medium low. Place the lid on the pot, tilting it to allow steam to escape.
5. After the rice has been cooking for a few minutes, check for holes or "craters."
6. When you can see the holes or craters, put the lid on tight. Turn the heat down to low.
7. Simmer the covered rice for another 15 minutes. Fluff it up with a fork and serve hot.